Self-Discipline: 5 Reasons Why Self-Discipline Entitles You For A Great Life.
I'm fortunate to have parents who taught me self- discipline from an early age, which not only helped me learn to take responsibility for my actions but also face life's challenges head-on. In fact, self-discipline is one such trait which is commonly found amongst world leaders, entrepreneurs, CEOs, athletes, soldiers, or perhaps successful people from all walks of life. Let's face it this way, we may have a vision, a plan or a course of action to achieve our goal, but what if we don't stick to that plan, or perhaps don't feel motivated anymore, to avoid situations like this one needs to be self-disciplined. Yes, it all starts here, out of all the other important elements required to lead a successful and happy life, "Self-Discipline" is the mother of all. According to Merriam-Webster, Self-Discipline is, "A Correction or Regulation of oneself for the sake of Improvement", which in simple words mean self-control. To understand this better, let us first look at the important attributes of a self-disciplined person.
Traits of a self-disciplined person:
- Strong Will Power
- Self Driven or Motivated
1) Health: Whether you are planning to go on a diet or want to hit the gym first thing in the morning, all that requires self-discipline. One of the major impacts a disciplined lifestyle has is upon our health. Mindful eating, weight management it all needs self-control. When we resist the temptation to have that extra serving of a piece of cake or a pizza slice, we slowly pave our way for a healthier version of us.
2) Success: According to Napolean Hill, "Self Discipline is the Master Key to Riches". Self Discipline is said to be one of the major contributing factors for success. Commitment and Accountability the two important components of success comes from self-discipline. Not just that, self -discipline helps in managing our finances better, leading to an increase in wealth and prosperity. In other words, self-discipline keeps us away from any distractions and therefore we remain focused towards our goal.
3) Self Esteem: Studies have shown that there is a direct relationship between self-discipline and self-esteem. Self-control increases our self-worth, it gives us a sense of self-respect and admiration and we learn to value ourselves. Our sincere attempts to meet our goals induce positivity and we feel more confident about ourselves.
4) Parenting: Teaching discipline to our children is considered to be a part of positive parenting. As parents, we try to teach discipline to our children from an early age. However, children also learn by observing the behavior of adults. By being an adult who practices self-discipline, we set an example in front of them and they learn faster from what they see. This solidifies their foundation for turning into a responsible adult when they grow up.
5) Happier and Fulfilling life: In an article by Maia Szalavitz self-disciplined people are happier (and not as deprived as you think). We laid a strong foundation for our lives by practicing self-discipline, which as a result gave the satisfaction of all of the factors discussed above. Discipline leads to sorted finances, the better quality of life, good health, enriched relationships thereby resulting into a happy life.
Self-discipline helps in creating a better version of ourselves. The process of self-control is tedious yet promising, it takes endurance and patience. The key is to hang in tight and don't let go, because it's worth the efforts and sacrifices.
Hope you enjoyed reading this article, please let me know what you feel and leave your comment in the comment section below, and please don't forget to share and subscribe.